Gideon B. Hart

Back Up Next

Joseph Hart Edward Hart Thomas Hart Gideon B. Hart Jos. Jr. & Others Charles Coffin Hart The Preachers *Edward Hart Pence *Nancy Hart Pence *From Stephen Hart *Abridged w/ Photos

Joseph Hart and His Descendants
By Rev. Charles Coffin Hart (Published 1901)


Gideon Blackburn Hart, fifth son of Joseph and Nancy Hart, was born at his father's home, near Maryville, Blount County, Tennessee, Oct. 29, 1798. He bore the name of Rev. Gideon Blackburn, a distinguished Presbyterian clergyman and friend of the family. For that early day he had unusually good advantages for education, his father being a teacher. At the age of twenty he taught school in his native county and thus earned money to buy a horse and outfit, with which he traveled to Illinois in the spring of 1820. His first stopping place was at Palestine, on the Wabash river. Here he taught school for several months. Then he visited Vincennes, Ind., and from there he went to Columbus, Bartholomew County, looking for a suitable location for his father's family. In August, 1821, he returned to Vincennes, and from there he followed the military road laid out by Gen. William Henry Harrison, Governor of Northwest Territory, to the Ohio river, thence into Kentucky, where he met his father's family, emigrating to Indiana, and conducted them to their future home in Bartholomew County. Here he made his home until the time of his marriage. In this new and sparsely settled community he was considered the best educated man in his county. During the first year of his residence a vacancy occurred in the office of sheriff. Mr. Hart was appointed to fill the vacancy. At the next election he was a candidate for the office. He and his opponent were at a corn husking, where there were about twenty voters, Democrats and Whigs. It was agreed that the candidates should divide the pile of corn, choose an equal number of huskers, and whichever candidate beat in the husking should receive the votes of all the company at the ensuing election. Mr. Hart's side beat, he got all their votes and was elected. (I had the above anecdote from one of the huskers in 1840.—C.C. H.) Two years later he was re-elected. Thus he was sheriff of his County for five years. Nov. 6 1824, he was married to Miss Hetty Alexander Taylor, daughter of David and Nancy Taylor. They began housekeeping soon after in a newly built cabin on 80 acres of land bought from his father. One year later he sold this farm and bought 104 acres of land of Mr. Sanders, one mile northwest of his first home, since known as the Sand Hill farm, where they lived until the time of his death. He afterwards owned two other small farms joining, or nearby, the Sand Hill place. In 1823 he was made a Master Mason in the lodge at Columbus, and continued in fellowship with his lodge until his death. When the office of school commissioner was created he was elected the first school commissioner of his county, and term after term was re-elected, each time almost unanimously, until the office was abolished. He thus served nineteen years, yet he never canvassed for the office. Thousands of dollars of school funds, almost all in silver, passed through his hands during these years without the loss of a penny. For two years— 1849-1850—he represented his County in the Legislature, and then declined to be a candidate for re-election. In politics he was a Free Soil Democrat, as were many of his party at that day. He was a decided anti-slavery man, having inherited anti-slavery principles from his father in his youth. He was a great admirer of "Uncle Tom's Cabin," and warmly in sympathy with its anti slavery teachings. He was an ardent temperance man and advocated prohibition. He was the first president of the Bartholomew County Agricultural Society. At the time of his marriage his wife was a member of the Baptist church. A few years later, having changed her views on the subject of baptism, she united with the Presbyterian church. In the fall of 1828 he united with the same church, Rev. W. W. Woods being stated supply at that time. At once he took up the duty of family worship. The first evening he read a chapter in the Bible, he and his wife kneeled together, but it seemed as if he could not utter a word, and his wife prayed. He was so distressed that he could not sleep that night. The next day he wrote a short prayer and committed it to memory, but when they kneeled together that evening he could not remember one word of his prayer. Again the wife prayed. But he persevered until he could perform his service with comfort and pleasure. His prayers were a great help and blessing to all the family, and by them are treasured as the most sacred remembrance of our childhood home. Soon after the death of his father—June, 1841—he was elected an elder in the Presbyterian church of Columbus, which office he held until the time of his death. They had nine children, seven of whom are now living (1899), Viz: Nancy, born Oct. 27, 1825; Mary Elizabeth, born Sept. 16, 1827; Silas, born Sept. 14, 1829, died Oct. 4,1834; Sarah Jane, born Oct. 1, 1831, died April 26,1868; William Taylor, born Dec. 20, 1833; Harriet, born Feb. 22, 1836; Joseph Edward, born Nov. 14, 1838; Gideon Blackburn, Jr., born Dec. 2, 1840; Maria Louisa, born June 30, 1845. These were all born in the Sand Hill home.

The subject of this sketch was five feet, ten inches in height, weighed about 160 to 165 pounds, dignified in manners, neat in his dress, wore a silk hat and boots, and in early manhood, in cold weather, he wore a drab overcoat with a belt and large double capes, with chain and hook at the collar. He was kind and generous to all, but especially to the poor. He was the first in his township to own a clock, the first also to own a cider mill, which was made by his brother Charley in 1842, and was operated with a sweep and horse-power. He was universally respected as a man of honor and integrity. His life, both in public and private, was without reproach. His modest, consistent, every-day life as a Christian won for him the confidence of all who knew him. He was often sent for to pray with and comfort the sick and dying. He was a leader in every good and important work in the community such as education, the church, Sabbath School and Bible Society; and always a strict observer of the Sabbath day. For the want of good teachers, he was twice called upon to teach the winter school in his neighborhood. Up to this time pupils were required to study out loud, and a loud school they made of it. At the opening of his first school, after answering many objections, he was permitted, as an experiment, to introduce the system of silent study. The experiment was a success.

For nearly three years before his death he was afflicted with the third-day ague, which baffled the skill of the physicians. The day before his death his pastor, Rev. N. S. Dickey, visited him, and before taking leave of him asked if he had any message he wished to send to the church. After a moment's reflection he said: "Tell them to love one another." He died Feb. 22, 1854, in the 56th year of his life, and was buried in Sand Hill graveyard. His pastor preached the funeral discourse at the house, from Rev. 14: 13. The Masons conducted the ceremonies at the grave.

The first child of Gideon B. and Hetty A. Hart was born at the family home, Sand Hill farm, Oct. 27, 1825. She was given the name of her paternal and maternal grandmothers—Nancy. She attended the public school of the neighborhood with various teachers, two terms to her father. Early in life she learned the routine of domestic work of farm life. At the age of eighteen she united with the Presbyterian church of Columbus. Feb. 20, 1845, she was married to Mr. David Pence, whose father, Jacob Pence, emigrated from Sullivan County, Tennessee, to Bartholomew County, Indiana, when David was eight years old. Mr. Pence was a contractor and builder. For the first four years of their married life they lived on a farm and then moved to Columbus. To them were born ten children, viz: Emma, born March 24. 1847; Mary, born Sept.26, 1849. These both died of scarlet fever on the same day, Jan. 13, 1852. George, born March 15, 1852; Gideon Blackburn, born Aug. 25, 1854, died Sept. 14, 1856; Ella born Feb. 16, 1857, died March 3, 1857; Lafayette, born Feb. 23, 1857; Ada, born July 31, 1860; Charles Jacob, born June I6, 1863; William David, born Nov. 26, 1865; Edward Hart, born April 10, 1868. The following extract is from the Columbus Bulletin, Oct. 9, 1868:

"Died, in this city, on the 3d inst., Mr. David Pence, aged 47 years. For many years he has been the leading mechanic of our town. His variety of talent and skill in execution made him widely known and called his services into continual requisition. In politics he was a Democrat. He was an active member of the Masonic order; constant in his attendance at the courts of the Lord's house on the Sabbath day. His faith in Jesus Christ as his Savior was clear and firm. He was buried by his brethren with Masonic honors. The largest concourse of citizens ever present at a funeral in this city or vicinity shows the high esteem in which he was held by all."

George, third child of Nancy and David Pence, attended the schools of Columbus and graduated from the High School in 1869. Spent one year in Wabash College. In 1871 he joined a corps of engineers and assisted in surveying and locating a railroad in Illinois; also the Terre Haute & Cincinnati Railroad. In 1873 he was employed in the Treasurer's office of his county. In 1874 he accepted the office of bookkeeper in the First National Bank of Columbus; then assistant cashier, and later cashier, until 1883, when he accepted the office of treasurer of the Cincinnati Coffin Company. This he resigned in 1885 and returned to Columbus and became bookkeeper for the Cerealine Manufacturing Company, in which he continued until 1892, when he was elected county auditor and served four years. The Cerealine company having removed their plant to Indianapolis, he was employed as general accountant of the company, where he still continues (1900). In his youth he was converted and united with the Presbyterian church and has led a consistent Christian life. He is an active Mason. Oct. 15, 1874, George Pence was married to Miss Mary Ella Billings, of Columbus. To them four sons were born, viz: Arthur Hart, born Aug. 29, 1875, died in infancy; George Billings, born July 16, 1878; David Dwight, born April 14, 1880; Pliny Jacob, born Jan. 6, 1882, On Jan. 6, 1894, Mrs. Mary Ella Pence, a lovely Christian, a devoted wife and mother entered into the rest that remaineth for the people of God. Two years later George Pence was married to Mrs. Rose Billings Orr, the widowed sister of his first wife. To them was born a daughter, Rose Ada.

Lafayette, son of David and Nancy Pence, was born in Columbus, Ind., Feb. 23, 1857. Took the regular course in the schools of Columbus and graduated from South Hanover College in the class of 1877. In his youth he united with the Presbyterian church and was active in Christian Association work during his course in college. He studied law in the office of Francis T. Hood, and was admitted to the bar on the day he was 21 years old. He practiced law one year in Winfield, Kan., and one year in Rico, Col. Dec. 22, 1880, he was married to Miss Clara Vawter, a member of the Presbyterian church of Franklin, Ind. In November, 1882, he was elected to the legislature of Colorado. At the close of the term he moved his family to Denver. Here he served as county attorney for two terms. In 1881-82 the city of Denver was engaged in a lawsuit involving large interests which could be settled only by an appeal to the United States Supreme Court at Washington. This business was placed in the hands of Mr. Pence, which he presented before that court and gained the case. In November, 1892, he was elected a member of Congress. After serving two years in Congress he spent two years in railroad business in New York. To Lafayette and his wife Clara were born four children, viz: Vawter, Aug. 27, 1882, died in infancy; Lafayette, Jr., March 14, 1884; Dec. 19, 1895, twins, son and daughter; both died in infancy. The mother died the same day. On June 29, 1888, Mr. Pence was married to Mrs. Kate Simmons, of Denver. They are now (July, 1900) living in San Francisco, Cal.

Ada, daughter of David and Nancy Pence, was born July 21, 1860. Graduated from the High School of Columbus, was a student in Oxford College, Oxford, O., one year, giving special attention to music under the instruction of Prof. Carl Mertz. She was converted in early youth and at the age of twelve united with the Presbyterian church, and from that time to the day of death she was a member of the choir, either as singer or organist. She had a sweet, well cultivated voice, and was a skillful performer on the piano and organ. On Nov. 8, 1882, she was married by her pastor, Rev. Alexander Parker, to Mr. William D. Stansifer, a young lawyer of Columbus. She died Nov. 23, 1883, leaving a daughter two weeks old, Ada Hart, who also died after three months. One who knew her well says: "Columbus never had a more noble Christian woman than Mrs. Ada Stansifer. She literally sat at the Master's feet, always watching for an opportunity to serve Him. Her sun set in glory before the meridian."

Charles Jacob, eighth child of David and Nancy Pence, was born June 12, 1863. He was converted in early youth and united with the Presbyterian church. Graduated from the High School of Columbus. Attended the law school at Ann Arbor, Mich., and was admitted to the bar on his twenty-first birthday, June 12, 1884. He at once entered into partnership with his brother in Denver, Col., in the practice of law, Pence & Pence. They were successful lawyers until the senior partner went to Congress, November, 1892. The partnership was dissolved and the junior went to Salt Lake City and pursued the practice of law four years. While in Salt Lake City Mr. Pence went to Washington, D. C., and gained an important case in the Supreme Court, for which he received much praise from the press and his clients. When he and his brother returned to Denver, and Pence & Pence again became partners in their profession. On the 8th day of June, 1887 Charles J. Pence was married in Martinsville, Ind., to Miss Mary Edna Sorg, a member of the Presbyterian church of Martinsville. They have two daughters, Mary Ada, born May 22, 1889; Edith Ella, born Sept. 27, 1890. In September, 1898, the Pence brothers moved to San Francisco, Cal., and opened a law office Pence & Pence, where they are now (July, 1900) successful lawyers.

William David, son of David and Nancy Pence, was born Nov. 26, 1865. He was converted in early youth and united with the Presbyterian church on the day he was eleven years old. Graduated from the High School of Columbus. Ill. September; 1883, he entered the State University, Champaign, Ill., and graduated in the class of 1886, with the degree of C. E., having made civil engineering a special study. From 1886 to 1892 he was employed by the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad Company in the capacity of roadmaster and assistant engineer and maintenance of way. On Dec. 31, 1889, Wm. D. Pence was married to Miss Lotta Gaston, a member of the Presbyterian church of Columbus, Ind. Their first home was in Temple, Tex. Having been elected to the chair of civil engineering in his alma mater— Illinois State University—he removed to Champaign, Ill., where he was a popular and successful teacher for two years. Here he was elected an elder in the Presbyterian church. Having been elected to the chair of civil engineering in Purdue University, Lafayette, Ind., he removed to Lafayette in August, 1899, where he is a successful teacher. They have two children, Nellie Ada, born Aug. 23, 1890; Hellen Lottie, born Nov. 23, 1892.

Edward Hart Pence, tenth child of David and Nancy Pence, was born April 10, 1868. He united with the Presbyterian church at the age of twelve years. Graduated from the High School of Columbus, and also graduated from South Hanover College in the class of 1889, and from McCormick Theological Seminary in April, 1892. May 1, 1892, he began his labor as stated supply of the Presbyterian church of Georgetown, Col. On the 28th of June he was married to Miss Jessie Archer, of South Hanover, Ind., who was his classmate in college. For eighteen months his labors in Georgetown were successful. In October, 1893, he accepted a call to the church at Janesville, Wis., and was soon after installed as pastor. Here his labors were abundantly blessed. In January, 1900, it was stated that during the six years just past "there has been steady growth in this church. In this time there have averaged twelve accessions at each quarterly communion." To them were born three children: David William, July 6, 1893; Jessie Norma, July 9, 1895; Edna Louisa, Feb. 14, 1898.

In March, 1900, a committee from the Fort Street Church, Detroit, Mich., heard Mr. Pence in his pulpit morning and evening, and returned without making their business known to the young pastor. But in less than a week he received a unanimous call to the pastorate of the Fort Street Church, which he accepted and was installed in the following May. For further matter relating to E. H. Pence, see Preachers' Chapter.

Mary Elizabeth, the second daughter of Gideon B. and Betty A. Hart, was born at Sand Hill homestead, Sept. 16, 1829. She received her education at the public schools, partly under the instruction of her father. She was converted and united with the Presbyterian church in early life. At the age of twenty-one she taught school in Decatur County, twenty-five miles from home, making her home with her uncle, James Taylor. On April 17, 1851, she was married to Mr. Robert Bradell, a prominent farmer and live stock dealer of Decatur County, Indiana. Four children were born of this union, viz: Frank Hart, March 7, 1852; Emma Louisa, Nov. 9, 1853; Anna Elizabeth, June 10, 1856; Edith Roberta, Oct. 10, 1861. In May, 1861, Robert Braden offered his services to his country in the civil war then in progress, and was made First Lieutenant in Company D, Seventh Regiment of Indiana Volunteers. After one year's service in the army of the Potomac he returned to Indiana and raised a regiment to repel the famous John Morgan raids, and was commissioned its Colonel by Governor Morton, but was killed Aug. 24, 1862, in the first engagement, near Henderson, Ky. Thus Mrs. Braden was left a widow with a family of children to raise, and all the cares of business which her husband left her. How well she accomplished this task may best be told by pointing to the positions of honor and respectability occupied by those children, all of wholly have grown to years of maturity, and all but one are now (June, 1900) residing in St. Louis, Mo., where she makes her home with them. True to the faith of her fathers, Mrs. Braden has since her early youth been a devoted member of the Presbyterian church and has had the pleasure of seeing the names of all her children enrolled in its list of members.

Frank Hart Braden received his early education in the public schools of Greensburg, Ind. At the age of seventeen commenced the study of law in the office of Judge Henry Hayden in Breckenridge, Mo. Finished his course of study in the office of Hon. George R. Gardner, and was admitted to practice in October 1872. Was elected prosecuting attorney of Caldwell County Missouri, in 1882, and served two years. Was elected member of the Legislature for Caldwell County in 1884 and served two years. Moved to Kansas City. Mo., in 1887, and to St. Louis in 1889, where for several years he filled the office of assistant prosecuting attorney. He has practiced law continuously since 1872. In 1886 he received the third degree of Masonry in the lodge at Breckenridge. April 10, 1877, he was married to Miss Mary Elizabeth Stagner. Four children were born of this marriage: Robert S., born Jan. 27, 1878; Lytle H., Dec. 5, 1879; Walter A., May 3, 1881, died in infancy; Lotta A., July 15, 1889.

Anna Elizabeth Braden was married Jan. 19, 1885, to Mr. Spencer Tompkins, a prominent attorney of the Illinois bar, and for several years active in the politics of that State. They have three children: Edith Mabel, born Dec. 23, 1885; Hazel Louisa, born Aug. 16,1887; Ethel Mary, born June 10, 1889. The family resides in St. Louis, Mo. The children are in the city schools. Mr. Tompkins is engaged in the practice of his profession. He is especially skillful as an abstracter of titles of real estate.

Edith Roberta Braden was married January, 1886, to Mr. George E. Quimby, a real estate broker of Boston, Mass., where he belongs to an old and prominent family, and where they still reside. They have three children: Bessie Louisa, born Nov. 29, 1886; Ada Bernice, born Jan. 30, 1888; Charles Norman, born Jan. 5, 1890.

Emma Louisa Braden was trained to dressmaking and for several years carried on a large dressmaking business in Kansas City, Mo. In 1892 she moved to St. Louis and makes her home with her sister, Mrs. Tompkins, and is employed in the millinery department of the Grand-Leader store.

Sarah Jane, fourth child of Gideon B. and Hetty A. Hart, was born on Sand Hill farm, Oct. 1, 1831. She received the name of two of her maternal aunts, Sarah and Jane Taylor. Her education was such as could be obtained in the public schools of the neighborhood. She was converted in early life and united with the Presbyterian church of Columbus. At twenty years of age she was married to Mr. Newton S. Jones, an enterprising farmer. To them were born seven children, viz: Laura Alice, Sept. 22, 1852, Gideon Blackburn, Dec. 6, 1853, died Aug. 5, 1854; Mary Kate, Aug. 9, 1855; Hattie Eva, Feb. 18, 1857; Miranda, March 8,1860; Emma, April 28, 1862; Rovilla, March 29,1864. Sarah Jane was a noble example of a Christian wife and mother. In her marriage she became surrounded by those of another denomination. She was always loyal to her own church, and in this her noble and faithful husband was a worthy help. She died May 25, 1868, in the thirty-seventh year of her age. Her pastor, Rev. N. S. Dickey, conducted the funeral service, after which she was buried in Flat Rock cemetery. After the death of the mother the care of the family fell upon Laura Alice, the eldest daughter, who had remarkable patience, skill and tact for a girl of 16, and became mother and sister to the other children. On Oct. 16, 1873, Hattie Eva Jones died, at the age of sixteen, of pneumonia. She seemed to be the stoutest of the family fond of outdoor exercise, so much so that she was often called her father's boy.

During the summer of 1874 the community was scourged with flux. Many died. Two of this family suffered, Miranda nigh unto death, and on August 20, Laura, the stay of the family, died of this scourge. In December, 1875, Mary Kate Jones was attacked with smallpox. She was immediately quarantined at her uncle's, where others had the disease, where she died December 31, and in the darkness of the night, as the new year was being ushered in, her body was laid to rest by the side of those who had preceded her to the better land. She was highly accomplished in music and taught the art to many pupils in the community. She attended the High School in Columbus, but her health did not permit her to graduate. She and her older sister were members of the Christian church at New Hope.

Miranda Jones completed her common school education and what was equal to two years' work in the High School, and then, at the age of seventeen, she obtained a license to teach in the public schools of the county. She taught nearly three years in the primary department of her home school. On the twentieth anniversary of her birth, March 8, 1880, she was married to Mr. Elijah S. Carter. The same day they commenced life together on a farm four miles southwest of Edinburg, Ind., where they still continue to reside (1900). At the age of eighteen she united with the New Hope Christian Church. After her marriage her church relationship, and also that of her husband, was transferred to the Kansas M. E. church. Her training in the public school prepared her for active work in the Sabbath School, in which she became a primary teacher worthy of the name. The County Sunday School Association, at three annual conventions, secured her to present a model recitation before the convention. To these parents were born two sons: Ralph Emerson, Feb. 5 1881; Carl Jones, Aug. 12, 1883. Ralph graduated from the common schools and also from the Edinburg High School. At the age of twelve he united with the M. E. church, and during the same year he won the first prize in the county oratorical contest, after having won first place in the township contest. Six days after the President issued his call for volunteers in the Spanish-American war he signed the enlistment roll at Edinburg, and passed the medical examination.

Carl Jones Carter united with the M. E. church at the age of thirteen. At fourteen he graduated from the common schools having carried off the honors of the county in scholarship, and first place in a recital contest in the home school. He entered the Edinburg High School in September, 1897.

Emma, sixth child of N. S. and Sarah Jane Jones, obtained a common school education, and also took advanced studies in the home school. On Sept. 20, 1882, she was married to Mr. J. E. Burnett, of Columbus. To them were born two children: Lila, Aug. 7, 1883; Nell, Dec. 7, 1888. Emma united with the New Hope Christian Church, and is now a member of that church in Columbus. Mr. Burnett is a traveling salesman. They have lived in St. Louis, Mo., and Des Moines, Ia. Their home is now (1900) in Columbus, Ind.

Rovilla, the youngest of the family of Newton S. and Sarah Jane Jones, grew to womanhood with the same advantages of education that the other daughters had. At the age of twenty-two she united with the New Hope Christian Church. On Feb. 14, 1894, she was married to Mr. Edward Chambers, an active young farmer near her father's home. They now (1900) reside on a farm two miles southeast of Nineveh, Johnson County, Indiana.

NOTE—The history of Rev. William Taylor Hart, fifth child of G. B. and H. A. Hart, will appear in the Preachers' Chapter.— C. C. H.

Harriet, fifth child of Gideon B. and Hetty A. Hart, was born at the Sand Hill homestead, Feb. 21, 1836. She received her early education in the schools of the neighborhood, was converted early in life and united with the Presbyterian church of Columbus, of which her father was an elder. In 1853 she was married to Mr. George M. Trotter, a teacher of Hope, Bartholomew County. When President Lincoln called for 75,000 troops Mr. Trotter enlisted in Company B. Sixth Indiana Volunteers, commanded by Augustus Abbett, of Columbus, Ind. After three months' service as noncommissioned officer he was honorably discharged and returned home. In August, 1862, he raised a company for the .... Indiana Volunteer Infantry, of which Governor O. P. Morton commissioned him Captain, in which he served until May 20, 1865, when he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel of the regiment, and held that rank until he was finally discharged, June 8, 1865. One of his campaigns was with Gen. Sherman in his march to the sea. In the fall of 1865 Mr. Trotter and his family moved to Breckenridge, Caldwell County, Missouri. He bought a farm three miles from Breckenridge, where he is one of the leading farmers of his township. He is a Mason and has been ever since he was twenty-one years old. He and his wife are members of the Congregational Church of Breckenridge. To them were born five children, viz: Charles Franklin, Minnie, Harriet D., George A. and Josephine, who died at sixteen months. Charles F. united with the Congregational church in his youth. Graduated from Kidder College in the class of 1887 anti soon after was elected professor of the High School in Leonard, Tex. On Thanksgiving day, 1898, he was married at Water Valley, Miss., to Miss Hattie V. Newell. She is a member of the Presbyterian church. He is a member of the order of the Knights of Pythias. They have one daughter, Naomi Edwinnie. Early in 1899 Charles F. Trotter was appointed by the government superintendent of the Tuskahoma Female Institute Lyceum, Indian Territory. Their home is at the Lyceum, Tuskahoma.

Minnie Trotter is a member of the Presbyterian church. Graduated from Kidder College in the class of 1887. She was married June 26, 1890, to Mr. Leslie R. Thwing, a farmer. They live near Hamilton, Mo. He is a member of the Presbyterian church. They have three children: Bessie Merriet, born April 26, 1891; Eleanor Pearl, born April, 1897; Charles Franklin, Feb. 15, 1900.

Hattie D. Trotter is a member of the Congregational church. Graduated from Kidder College in the class of 1891. She was married to Mr. Nathaniel Reynolds, a telegraph operator, in charge of Lexington station, Henry, Ray County, Missouri. He is a member of the Congregational church.

George Albert Trotter is a student in Kidder College and will graduate in the class of 1900. He is a member of the Congregational church of Kidder, and a member of Odd Fellows Lodge in Breckenridge.

Joseph Edward, seventh child of Gideon B. and Hetty A. Hart, was born in Bartholomew County, Indiana, Nov. 15, 1838. Received such education as was obtainable in the common schools of that period, and when the war of the rebellion began was attending school at Milford, Ind., preparing to enter college. Left school April 15, I861 and enlisted in Company B. Sixth Indiana Infantry, at Columbus, for three months. Participated in the West Virginia campaign and was discharged Aug. 2, 1861, re-enlisting on the same day, in Company D, Seventh Indiana Infantry. The regiment was sent to Western Virginia and was engaged at Greenbrier in one month from the date of organization. Was attached to Lander's, afterwards Shield's division, in the Shenandoah Valley, and participated in the battles of Winchester and Port Republic. During the winter's campaign he contracted a severe cold, which necessitated his discharge, June 28, 1862, on surgeon's certificate of disability, for "disease of throat and lungs." Returning home, he remained a private citizen until July 15, 1862, when, in connection with his brother-in-law, George M. Trotter, and his brother, Gideon B. Hart, began enlisting a company for the service, which went into camp at Indianapolis, August 10. The regiment was organized August 16, and this company became Company H. with Geo. M. Trotter as Captain and Jos. E. Hart First Lieutenant. Left the State August 19 and was engaged in the disastrous battle of Richmond, Ky., August 30. The regiment suffered very severely in killed and wounded and was compelled to surrender. Being paroled in a few days, returned home and on exchange in November following, the regiment went to Memphis, Tenn., and participated in the campaign of that winter, preparatory to the investment of Vicksburg. Joined the force in the rear of Vicksburg in June, 1863, and was, immediately after the surrender, attached to Sherman's command and took part in the movement against Johnson at Jackson, Miss., and in the fighting which resulted in the capture of that city. In September the division was brought to Memphis and marched to Chattanooga, participating in the battle of Missionary Ridge, in which the subject of this sketch was wounded. Owing to the progress of disabilities incurred the previous year, he was compelled to again leave the army, and resigned February 15, 1864, and returned to his home at the "Sand Hill." Was married August 3, 1862, at Milford, Ind., to Edith, daughter of James and Sarah Mandlove. The children born of this marriage were Joseph Edward, Jr., born July 8, 1863, and died March 1, 1880; Stella, born August 12, 1865; Florence Emma, born Feb. 4, 1868, and died March 22, 1869; Edith, born Oct. 19, 1869; Hetty, born July 19, 1872, and died Sept. 11, 1878; James William and Charles, born Jan. 17, 1875; and Louise Goff, born Feb. 24, 1885. After the war he removed to Breckenridge, Mo., and remained there until 1869. Afterwards located at New Martinsville, W. Va., where he remained until 1890, being engaged for a number of years during that period as editor and proprietor of a newspaper. In October, 1890, was appointed to a clerkship in the Pension Bureau at Washington, D. C., the family removing to that city in April, 1891. He became a member of the Sand Hill Presbyterian Church in 1853, and is at this writing (1899) a member of the Metropolitan Presbyterian Church of Washington, D. C. His wife, his son, Dr. J. Wm. Hart, and daughter Stella are also members of the Presbyterian church, while his daughter Edith is a member of the Protestant Episcopal church.

Dr. James William Hart, son of J. E. and Edith Hart, was married to Miss Grace Duncan, of Poughkeepsie, N. Y., Jan. 25, 1899. To them a son, Charles Edward, was born Jan. 17, 1900.

Gideon Blackburn Hart, Jr., was born Dec. 2, 1840, at the Sand Hill homestead. He was the fourth son in the family. He received his education in the public schools. In his youth he united with the Presbyterian Church of Columbus. In 1862 he enlisted in the Twelfth Indiana Volunteer Infantry in Company H. He was, successively, Orderly Sergeant, First Lieutenant, and discharged in June, 1865, with the rank of Captain. In August, 1865, he went to Breckenridge, Mo., where he engaged in the hardware business and afterwards in farming, feeding and shipping live stock. In 1893, after a hotly contested primary election, he was appointed by President Cleveland postmaster of Breckenridge, which office he held for four years. He is a Mason and Knight Templar. On Oct. 30, 1866, he was married to Miss Eliza 0 …….., in Breckenridge. To them were born five children: Charles E., who died in early infancy; Walter 0., Lucy D. and Maria Taylor. This family are all identified with the Presbyterian church.

Charles E. Hart was born Feb. 28, 1869, at Breckenridge, Mo. He received his education at the High School in Breckenridge. On April 16, 1899, he was married in Kansas City, Mo., to Anna Thomas, of Caldwell County. He is now and has been for several years living in Muscogee, Ind. Ter., in the employ of the Patterson Mill Company as a salesman in their general store. They have one child, a daughter, born in February, 1900. He is a Mason and a member of the Knights of Pythias.

Walter O. Hart was born on a farm near Breckenridge, March 8, 1871. He graduated from the Breckenridge High School in 1888.. Went to Annapolis in the spring of 1888, as the result of a competitive examination in his congressional district, but failed to enter the Naval Academy because of defective vision. Has been in the employ of the savings bank for the last ten years, as bookkeeper at first, and the last four years as cashier. In June, 1896, he was married to Miss Lulu Murphy, of Breckenridge. They have two children: Mary Virginia, born Oct. 20, 1897; Florence, born Nov. 31, 1899. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church, of which he is also a ruling elder. He is a Mason and has served as master of his lodge.

Lucy D. Hart was born June 21, 1879, at Breckenridge. She graduated from the Breckenridge High School in 1896. She is an active member of the Presbyterian church.

Maria T. Hart was born May 8, 1883, in Breckenridge. She is a student in the Breckenridge High School and has already gained considerable local reputation as a writer.

Maria Louisa, ninth child of Gideon B. and Hetty A. Hart, was born July 30, 1845, at Sand Hill farm. She received her education in the public schools. In 1865 she accompanied her mother and other members of the family to Breckenridge, Mo., where on July 16, 1867, she was married to Mr. Joseph D. Thompson, of Breckenridge. Mr. Thompson was brought up on a farm in Ray County, Missouri. In early life he was employed by a relative in a store in Breckenridge. In a few years he purchased the store, and for thirty years he carried on a general mercantile business. He is also the owner of one or more good farms near Breckenridge. They own a beautiful residence and other property in Breckenridge. In 1898 Mr. Thompson sold his store and closed that branch of his business and has since been engaged in banking. He and his wife are members of the M. E. Church, South, and are faithful attendants at the Sabbath School and the midweek prayer meeting. He is also a Mason.

Elizabeth Hart, the only daughter of Joseph Hart, and whose mother's name was Nancy (Shanklin) Hart, was born in the family home, three miles northeast of Maryville, Blount County, East Tennessee, Jan. 1l. 1802. She had the usual advantages of education of her day, but being the only daughter in a large family, a large share of domestic labor fell to her lot. When but five years of age her mother died. Two years later, to her delight and comfort, the father married a second time. Under the guidance and training of the stepmother, Elizabeth grew up to womanhood, and seldom have stepmother and stepdaughter been more genial and kind to each other. Under the ministry of Dr. Anderson she was converted at an early age and united with New Providence Church. At about twenty years of age she was married under rather romantic circumstances. She was engaged to Mr. William Trotter, a young farmer and "singing school master" of the neighborhood. Early in the autumn of 1821 her father started to emigrate to Indiana. Mr. Trotter was to go to Indiana in the spring of 1822, be married and there make their future home. But about sunrise the next morning after the family started on their journey, William Trotter and his brother Isaac came to the camp and proposed to have Elizabeth return to Maryville and be married that day, to which all agreed. The Trotter brothers, Elizabeth and her brother Silas, all on horseback, returned to the house of Dr. Anderson, and by him William Trotter and Elizabeth Hart were married. They settled on a farm near Maryville. William Trotter was of Scotch descent, a native of Virginia. His father, Richard Trotter, was a soldier in the American Revolution, and emigrated from Virginia to Jefferson County, Tennessee, about the year 1800, when William was eight years old. Later on the family moved to Blount County. There William was converted at an early age and united with New Providence Church. He had a good voice and some training in vocal music. Frequently taught singing school, and for many years led the singing in the church. He enlisted in the war of 1812-15. Was in Gen. Coffee's mounted battalion, in the Southern division of the army under Gen. Jackson. Late in the war his battalion was detailed for special duty at Baton Rouge, La., from which place they were ordered to make a forced march to New Orleans, which they accomplished in two days and nights, reaching New Orleans at noon on the memorable 8th of January, 1815. After his discharge from military service he returned to Tennessee. After their marriage, as noted above, they lived on their farm in Blount County twelve years, when the family moved to Bartholomew County, Indiana, in the spring of 1833. In February, 1836, they moved to Washington County, and in the spring of 1839 they moved to Blue Lick, Clarke County, Indiana. There they bought a farm of 120 acres, where they spent the remainder of their days. Mr. Trotter was a tall, straight man of military bearing. He had deep, positive religious convictions, a clear knowledge of God's word and was a strict observer of the Sabbath. He was invited to superintend the Sunday school in the Protestant M. E. church, three miles from his home. He declined, saying he wanted a Sunday School where his own children and immediate neighbors could attend. He organized a school in the school house of his district, which was largely attended, summer and winter, for many years. He frequently had preaching by the pastor of the church in Charlestown, nine miles distant, to which he and his wife had attached themselves soon after coming to Blue Lick. In a short time the Presbyterians of the community and a few others were organized into a branch of the church in Charlestown. Mr. Trotter was made an elder. This organization gave great joy to him and his wife. They had stated preaching for several years and a well-organized Sabbath School; but the elder's health failed, and in March 1870, he died, aged seventy-eight.

NOTE—Though living 350 miles distant, I visited my sister once in two years, during her widowhood, and usually preached at her house. My last visit was when she was nearly eighty years of age. Her sight was clear, her hearing good. Six months before that, while going to meeting on horseback, her favorite mode of travel, her horse became restless and threw her over his head. Though badly bruised, no bones were broken. She had never been sick so as to need a physician. She and I talked until midnight. Among other things, she said: "I shall never be able to go to meeting again, and we have no preacher now. When I die will you come and preach my funeral sermon?" I told her I would if I was notified in time. She died April 4, 1883, at the age of eighty-one. She was buried by the side of her husband. To my great sorrow, I did not receive notice of her death until a week after her burial.—C. C. H.

She was small of stature, her mind was well stored with a knowledge of God's word, her Bible was her daily companion. She greatly enjoyed the preaching of the gospel, and often entertained the preachers. William Trotter and his wife were the parents of eight children.

Nancy Ann, born in Blount County, Tennessee, June, 22, 1823. She became a member of the Presbyterian church in early life. She was married to Mr. William Baughn, a carpenter. They had one son, who died in infancy. The mother died May 10, 1853, aged 30 years.

Isaac Campbell, born June 18, 1825; died Aug. Is, 1831.

Joseph Albert, born July 31, 1828. He learned the carpenter's trade and afterwards became an expert machinist and millwright. For many years he was engaged in finishing the inside and putting the machinery in mills and factories. In this work he labored in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio and West Virginia. He is a member of the Presbyterian church, a Sir Knight Mason and unmarried. His home is in Columbus, Ind.

Martha Elizabeth, born Aug. 21, 1830; died May 26, 1837.

Eliza Jane, born Sept. 13,1832; died June 16, 1852. She was a member of the Presbyterian church.

William Harvey, born Oct. 20, 1834; died Aug. 26, 1851.

John Richard, born May 11, 1838; died June 27,1839.

Eleanor Serena, born March 4, 1841. She was married to Mr. James A. Townsend, a farmer, Dec. 24, 1865. They have three sons: Albert Trotter, born April 7, 1867. He is a teacher and Charles Hart, born Feb. 1, 1873, a farmer. These brothers are unmarried (1900). Post office, Blue Lick, Clarke County, Indiana.

James A. Townsend, Sr., died at Blue Lick, Ind., about the year 1883.


Back Up Next